Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Goodbye, Shiroi.

Hello readers, Assalamualaikum, peace be upon you <3

One of my cats, Shiroi, died earlier today :'(

She's one of the white ones. This is a picture from when she was still a newborn kitten.

I thought she was healthy already... She didn't show any signs of illness or anything. I thought she was recovering smoothly. I guess, what we think, is not always what is. Hmm...

November 10th.

I woke up in the afternoon, I slept late the night before. I stepped out of my room just to find my maid screaming at me "Shiroi's stomach is open, her insides are out!" I was shocked! You see, a few weeks earlier she underwent a surgery to sterilise her with 3 other cats.

At that time, only my maid and I are at home. My parents were at work. My mom was at her office, and my dad had a seminar or something at a hotel in town. My maid had called my neighbour, also a cat owner. We were going to take her to the vet. After showering, I went outside to look at Shiroi. Her surgical cut was open. We don't know exactly how it happened, but you could see her intestines and what not. Amazingly, Shiroi was still breathing. She was still alive. She seemed pretty calm, actually. She didn't even meow or seemed weak. She was just sitting there, in the cage that my maid put her into, as if every thing's normal.

Long story short I followed my neighbour to the vet. I texted my dad, and he called me to tell me to do everything that will be best for Shiroi and if any payment is needed, borrow our neighbour's money and we will pay her back. Luckily, it happened on a weekday, and we found her just in time. It was a Thursday, and office hours end at 3:30PM. We reached the vet at 1:50PM or so. Then my neighbour talked to the vet and left me in the waiting room. She had to pick up her husband. I've never went to the public vet. It was my first time there. My family always went to a private vet.

The vet gave Shiroi a tranquillizer, and Shiroi slowly closed her eyes, sleep-like. The vet continued to treat the other cats that their owners brought. It was hard, sitting there, waiting. Everyone who came in was like "What happened?!" and all. Telling them what happened. Their reactions to seeing my cat like that. Some were moderate, some went overly dramatic.

One guy came in, and he actually went to Shiroi and patted her head. The others didn't dare to go near her. He came with his friend, who upon seeing Shiroi went "blergh!" and walked out the door and came back in after a second. That guy who went to pat Shiroi was really nice. We talked a little, that helped calmed me down. After their cat was injected, they left.

The vet came to check on Shiroi again. He said that he needed to inject him with anaesthetic, but it was risky. Shiroi became weak after she was given the tranquillizer, and if she is given the anaesthetic, there is a chance that she'd die right away, but no matter how risky it was, there was no choice. Sometimes we need to take risks, and just pray for the best. I texted my dad again.

Soon after, the vet told me to carry her cage into the room where he treats the animals. He picked Shiroi up and carried her to the sink. Then he started cleaning her insides, and removing unnecessary fat. I watched it all from the start. Then the vet placed her on this metal table of some kind, and tied all four of her legs, so she was spread apart. I had to hold myself together.

I watched every single move of the vet. He was careful during the whole the procedure. I just stood there, watching from near the door so the vet can have enough space. My neighbours arrived, and soon after, my dad. He left the seminar early. I watched the vet did every thing. From putting her insides back into her body, to closing the opening. Sewing it shut.

The vet and my neighbours kept saying stuff like "she must be a naughty one" but actually she wasn't. She didn't climb things, nor did she run. Betty, who was also sterilised climbed the big aquarium, but still, nothing happened to her, thank God. There was a possibility that the cut had a small opening, but we didn't realize and it tore bigger. Just that morning my dad let her out of her cage as usual before he went to work. Hmm, Wallahualam.

After what has to be done is done, we went home. The vet said that the anaesthetic would usually last about 4-5 hours, but Shiroi is weak, so it may be more, or she won't wake up at all. We placed her right outside my room. I checked on her very often. I went online, as usual, and my friends are kind enough to give me motivation and comforting words. Thanks guys. ♥

Every time I check up on her, I'd pat her head and talk to her. Asking her to come back, and what not. Ten hours passed, she was still unconscious. I cried that night :'(

When I woke up in the morning, she was still unconscious. I tried to be optimistic, but I'm kinda realistic, and I can't deny that hope is very thin. Nevertheless, a drowning man will clutch a straw. A strand of hope is still hope nonetheless.

I went lawn bowling that day, and when I returned home in the afternoon, I went to check up on Shiroi again. You can't imagine how grateful I was to see her with her eyes open. She even lifted her head when I called her. At first she didn't eat anything, nor drink but I fed her milk using a straw and she'd lick it. She would only lick once or twice. She was still very weak, but she managed to stand up, and she ended up sitting in a sphinx position. She's so stubborn >.<

Over the days, she got better. She even got her appetite back. We placed her outside with the other cats. Since then everything was pretty much back to normal...

at least until today :(

It was just time I guess. It was her time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D