Saturday, April 26, 2014

PNC Debates (UniSZA and UMT)

So hey! Assalamualaikum w.b.t
hope ya'll are well.

I haven't been updating my blog for so long because I simply don't have any blog-worthy things to share hahaha (why am I laughing, I just implied that I am lifeless sobs)

but today I do have stuff to write!

So today I was in Universiti Malaysia Terengganu from morning until evening for the 2nd day of the 10th Vice Chancellor's Cup Debate Competition 2014

Actually it all started two weeks ago when a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go see UniSZA's PNC (Piala Naib Chancellor) Debate. Long story short, I went there, and with some tweaks here and there, I ended up being among the adjudicators (fully guided, of course. Just helping out here and there since I am obviously not qualified to be an adjudicator on my own). Which turned out to be great!

I got first-hand experience of adjudicating, and most importantly I got the see the debate form the adjudicators' perspective, so hopefully it will help me in some way to improve as a debater, if I get to pursue debate once again after I enroll in university (which is what I am planning to do).

I also got to see the difference between school and university debates in terms of style and topics. Debate competitions in school are somewhat restrained by format and rules, some of which regards manners whereas in university, the style of debating are more lenient, but still needs to adhere to basic rules of manners, and so on. Of course, the motions may include sensitive issues, which are very unlikely (Prohibited, I think) to be used in school level debates (at least the ones I've participated in).

What worries me is when the theme is religion. Personally, I don't feel comfortable debating about "sensitive" issues regarding religion, especially if I don't have a firm understanding of the matter at hand, let alone be pro or against it! Hopefully situations like this won't come up (at least not often, since it seems rather inevitable), and if (/when) it does, I hope my faith will stand strong. Gulp.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was involved with both PNC Debates, especially the adjudicators from UMT who treated me like I was one of them, and not some out-of-place teenager (I don't even know if you'll ever read this hahaha) . It was kinda awkward at first to be mainly introduced as "Dr.Siti's daughter" because I'm not used to it. Usually it's "Dr.Abol's daughter" or "Abol's sister" (depending which Abol you're referring to hahaha), but it was nice to be recognized like that for a change. Thank you for teaching me the things I didn't know, answering all my questions, and of course, for the fun and laughter we shared (was so sweet, don't get diabetes k).

so I guess that's all for now.
Until next time, adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D